Saturday, March 25, 2006

Being present plus non-attachment equals freedom:
I suppose the first thing I have to do is practice. I need to practice being present. It is an odd fact of being human that being present, being in the NOW, in the moment does not come naturally. Or maybe more to the point being natural does not come naturally. The innate inner state of being human is one of calm abiding and yet we don't get to experience this calm abiding unless we tame our wandering mind. The wandering mind is the thing that not only wanders but then gets attached to things that are wandering by. Without practice, practice, practice, I am easily blindsided by my thoughtless, unskillful, uncompassionate behaivour.
I have been mulling this over since I made the comment that just being present does not necessarily lead to freedom. You need to be present in nothingness, non-attachment. Nothingness is the sense of total interdependence, not oblivion. So you can sit and be present but as soon as you become attached to one of those flowing ideas/objects that are going through your mind you are no longer free.

No comments: