Wednesday, March 15, 2006

One Pointed Concentration:
This is the opposite of mult-tasking which goes contrary to todays work environment. The idea for one-pointedness is that Zen philosophy, or more precisely buddhist teaching that when you walk, walk, when you talk, talk, when you write, write and so on.
But of course with the computer this becomes more entangled. Now I can check out books from the library, have a news feed coming in, browse wikipedia, work a bit on a spec, read some requirements, listen to a podcast and on and on.
I wrote about listening to teachings while working a while back and someone said isn't that distracting? And I said oh no I can just go back if I miss something, but I can't go back in time and give back to my work the distraction that I gave to it. And I've come to realize I get more frustrated trying to listen and do other things at the same time, which isn't good karma.
The trick that everyone has learned with the computer in the workplace is that you can do all this other stuff while still sitting at your desk. Maybe this is a problem with the modern worker and the dependence on the computer? I don't know but I do know you can bring more single pointedness to even this environment.
Take for example surfing the web. The very paradigm is one of distraction. Get online and start researching, then you start clicking links and before long you have lost your intention to pursue the topic that interested you and learned a little about a lot, if any of it sticks!
This is a lesson I learn over and over. When I was following Natalie Goldberg's Writing Practice, I learned to keep the pen moving to a timer. Don't stop writing until the timer goes off. Later I started using the timer for my meditation practice. It help to remove the distraction of always checking the time.

1 comment:

Kirtim said...

I think being present is only the beginning of being free. There is being present with your anger, your fear, your happiness, etc.