Sunday, February 12, 2006

What is buddhism? Once upon a time I thought I knew. I thought it was that other religion, the one where nothing really made sense. Not like the reason based religion that I practised, where all of the scripture was rooted in history and therefore provable.
I now am of the opinion that neither buddhism not my previous religious practice needs to worry about being rooted in history. History rots the truth, the same way time rots all things. Truth is beyond religious bigotry and bias. Now I am trying to see and hear with eyes that see and ears that hear. Beyond the anger and fear of cultural practices. And that goes for buddhism and christianity.
I find it odd that Islam is being so badly portrayed in the press thanks to the idiocy of a few ruling shahs. Surely the truth of Islam has nothing to do with violence or hatred of those who don't see things the same way that you do. That wouldn't be truth at all but something completely different.

No comments: