Monday, February 27, 2006

Slow Down:

This was the homework given to us last night in our lo jong group. We read a piece from Eknath Easwaren's book, Meditation, the chapter on slowing down. In that chapter Easwaren describes his coming to America from a rural Indian village where he walked everyday at about 3km an hour and if for an emergency, 4km an hour. His arrival on New Yorks doorstep showed him immediatly a culture that is racing everyday and getting nowhere, fast!
So this morning I decided to slow down. I already bike to work but I know that speed is a state of mind. Somedays I'm racing just as fast as the person on the 401 accept it is all up in my head. I don't notice the little things about the weather and the wildlife. I just keep on going and show up to work if not as stressed as a regular commuter, nearly as stressed.
How did I change this morning you ask? Well for one I chose slightly different routes to work. I went through the park at a different place. I walked across the foot bridge instead of riding. I stopped to stare at the steam rising off of the river and watched the geese meandering along in the water. I thought about them!
Then I went throught the bushier part of the trail that I normally take to get to work. I stared at the diamond like reflections coming off of the snow and let the beauty of it enter me.
I went futher along the trail then normal instead of getting out to bike on the road.
I breathed differently.
What was the cost in time to me? Nothing. I thought I was going to be late but I got to work at the same time I normally do. I was quite surprised by that. It felt like I was taking all the time in the world but again perception was the key difference.
I also gained more insight into some imagery I've been developing as a result of taking the different routes to work.
It is hard to constantly try to apply the slow down motto. Speed is like an addiction, before you know it you're racing ahead again like everyone else. The impetus of the culture is huge. But the benefits of slowing down are enormous.

(mind you i did write this entry fairly quickly!)

No comments: