Monday, September 25, 2006

The buddha and the light:


Last night at dinner I decided to light some candles and one of them was a bees wax buddha candle that someone had given me. I had already lit this at some other time and so most of the head was gone. When I put it on the table my daughters both said hey, it's the buddha! And then they looked at it as I lit it and said the buddha's head is gone. This made me reflect on the light and I said it is amazing isn't it that the more light the buddha gives the less of the buddha is present. I see this as part of the occupation of buddhism and enlightenment. Bring more light, be more open to the way, and more and more of the self, the ego, identity seems to disappear. Now, the point is the candle isn't disappearing, it is transmuting, becoming one with the flame, with the air, with everything so there is less of the so called object.

No comments: